Saturday, January 17, 2009

WINTER, THE CO WAY



It has been forever since I wrote last. What has happened since October? Well, we lost...they won...still sad for Palin, but getting through...Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and new year has come and gone. We went from 2008 to 2009. That never ceases to amaze me. I survived two long weeks with the kids home from school. And the snow finally showed up about halfway through.


Who would have thought a few short years ago that I would be telling you how amazing it is here... and it is only 23 degrees. You know, it is true that you acclimate to your surroundings. Our first year, we were in long johns, two jackets, hats and gloves at all times, and we were still cold. Now, we can't wait for the snow to show up. It is not a stop to play...it is a time for a NEW play.



Sledding is a favorite pass time. Everyone gets to play. Young and old. Take out the family dog. Even Will with his bad back took a few runs. Me, of course, thinking I can do anything, took a few headers. I am trying to download that video for all you voyeurs out there. We have spent the winter mornings dreading getting out of bed, and so tired from playing, that we can't wait to get back in. Away are the days of cotton sheets. Bring out the flannel and heating blankets.
Madison has taken to the slopes. She is a natural on skis. Charlie on the other hand is willing to wait a few more years. I think it will be sooner that he does. I am pretty sure that next year will be his. But for now, this is the winter for the girls. Papa has allowed Madi and I to sow our wild oats in the snow. We thank him for working so hard to pay for us to play. The spring is when the man in this family come alive. Just as the flowers are starting to pop out, so are all the mountain bike supplies. We all have our seasons.
As for regular life in general, it is a bit crazy. Life takes some turns here and there...and we are in a big one. It is strange when you start to see your parents getting older. Just when I am starting to feel younger, I am hit with reality. You know, we don't get to stay here on this earth very long. I am starting to see how very short is truly is. My final plug and prayer is enjoy your life. Don't give up fighting. We all have to fight at times. Say "I love you" every chance you get, even when you are upset. Help those around you, but try to not loose yourself. And if you do, go searching fast. Thank God for every rain cloud, snowfall, Santa Ana wind or sunshine. They are all good! Stay warm, stay cool and have some fun.

1 comment:

Tomps Family of Colorado said...

You made me cry with the part about parents getting older...